Military Benefits FAQ

Does American University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes. Learn more and apply for AU's Yellow Ribbon Program.

Where can I get information on military education benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs offers an overview of the available education and training benefits. You may compare VA education benefit programs and review current payment rates with the department’s comparison tool

Call Phone Number: 1-888-442-4551 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CST to speak with an Education Specialist at the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Customer Service Office if you have further questions.

How do I apply for military education benefits?

To apply, you must complete VA Form 22-1990. If approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or award letter in the mail. The VA typically takes between 6-8 weeks to process a request.

What should I do once I have received my COE?

Scan your COE and send it via email to Once you are admitted, you may contact AU's Veterans Office at or for additional questions.

How often do I need to submit my COE and AU's Veterans Enrollment Certification Request form?

The COE only needs to be submitted at the beginning of the degree program. However, the Veteran's Certification Request form must be submitted each time you register for classes. Once tuition and fees, term dates, and credit hours are verified, the VA will send you a letter each semester reflecting the new funds.

What is the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and how much am I eligible to receive?

The Monthly Housing Allowance/Basic Allowance for Housing is provided to non-active duty members based upon their registration status. The VA will determine the rate of pursuit (full-time or part-time).

Am I eligible for money to help pay for books and supplies?

Members may be eligible for a yearly books and supplies stipend of up to, but not to exceed, $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.

What are some common military education benefits?

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill: Provides up to 36 months of education benefits to veterans who have at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001.
  • Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB): Reimburses students monthly up to the current payment rate after students pay while in school. There are two main MGIB programs:
    • MGIB Active Duty: Members enroll in their chosen program and pay $100 per month for 12 months, and are then entitled to receive monthly benefits after completing a minimum service obligation.
    • MGIB Reservists: Members must complete a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program: Matches each dollar of unmet charges the institution agrees to contribute, up to the cost of the tuition and fees (currently $21,970.46). For example, if the institution offers $5,000, the VA will match $5,000 for a total award of $10,000. The Yellow Ribbon Program is only available to non-active duty veterans at the 100% benefit level on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Access AU's Yellow Ribbon Program application.

What are some differences in benefit eligibility for active duty vs. non-active duty applicants?

Active duty applicants are NOT eligible for MHA or the Yellow Ribbon program. Non-active duty applicants are eligible for MHA and the Yellow Ribbon per the applicant’s COE if they are at 100% eligibility. Non-active duty applicants can receive a yearly books and supplies stipend.