- Lost in Translation? Civil Society, Faith-Based Organizations and the Negotiation of International Norms,” (with Leslie Vinjamuri) International Journal of Transitional Justice 5 (2011).
- “Religious Actors in Transitional Justice,” (with Leslie Vinjamuri), in The New Religious Pluralism, ed. Tom Banchoff, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Review of Social Enterprise: At the Crossroads of Market, Public Policy, and Civil Society, ed. by Marthe Nyssens, London: Routledge, 2006, in Democracy & Society 4, no. 2 (Spring 2007).
- “Peace Agreements and Accountability Since 1980,” (with Leslie Vinjamuri) Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- “The Power of Defining Work,” Mortara Center for International Studies, Georgetown University, Working Paper C-02-0708, 2007.
- Review of Solidarity in Europe: The History of an Idea, Steinar Stjernø, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, in German Politics and Society 24, no. 2 (Summer 2006).
- “Learning to Work Together: The Impact of the European Employment Strategy on European Integration,” Council for European Studies Working Paper, 2006.
- “A Crisis Wasted: Explaining the Return to National Patterns of Socio-Economic Governance in Europe,” 18th International Conference of Europeanists, Barcelona, 2011.
- “A Collaborative Teaching Strategy in Undergraduate Research Methods,” (w/ Elizabeth Cohn), APSA Teaching and Learning Conference 2011, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- “Academic Research and Writing Across Disciplines,” 22nd Annual Ann Ferren Teaching Conference, American University, 2011.
- “Germany and the Financial Crisis: Constructing a Success Story,” Workshop “What’s Up with Germany?” 2010, Georgetown University.
- “Mapping the Actors in Transitional Justice” (w/ Leslie Vinjamuri), Workshop for Restorative Justice, Reconciliation, and Peacebuilding Project, University of Notre Dame, 2010.
- The Road Less Taken? A Discourse-Theoretic Analysis of the European Response to the 2008 Economic Crisis,” “Diskurse im Institutionellen Wandel,” Otto-Friedrichs Universität, 2010, Bamberg, Germany.
- “Religious and Secular Actors: The ‘Doers’ of Transitional Justice,” (w/ Leslie Vinjamuri), ISA 2009, New York.
- “The Power of Defining Work: Politics and Discourse in European Welfare State Reform,” ECPR 2008, Barcelona, Spain.
- “The Power of Defining Work and Welfare: Politics and Discourse in European Welfare State Reform,” Council for European Studies, 2008, Chicago.
- “Religious Actors and Transitional Justice,” (w/ Leslie Vinjamuri), APSA 2007, Chicago, IL.
- “Learning to Work Together: The Impact of the European Employment Strategy on European Integration and Capitalism,” CES 2006, Chicago, IL.
- “New Modes of European Union Policymaking: Local Cooperation and Cross-border Learning within the Open Method of Coordination,” ECPR 2005, Granada, Spain.
- Panelist, “The Wall,” documentary produced by Deutsche Welle, recorded at the Newseum, Washington DC, August 10, 2008.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Alumni Achievement Award, College of Arts and Sciences, Western Michigan University (2010)
- Jill Hopper Memorial Fellowship, Department of Government, Georgetown University (2008)
- Northeast Political Science Association, Best Paper Award (2007)
- Distinction awarded on Ph.D. Major Field Comprehensive Exam (Comparative Government) (2005)
- Distinction awarded on Ph.D. Minor Field Comprehensive Exam (German and European Studies) (2004)
- Best Paper in Comparative Government, Department of Government, Georgetown University (2004)
- Presidential Scholar Award, Department of Political Science, Western Michigan University (1999)
- Western Michigan University Rhodes Scholarship nominee (1999)
- Steckelberg German Award, Western Michigan University (1999)
- D.C. Schilling Award in Political Science, Western Michigan University (1998)
Grants and Sponsored Research
- American Consortium on EU Studies (ACES) Curriculum Development Grant, Summer 2011
- American University, Online Learning / Distance Education Curriculum Development Grant, Spring 2011
- Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Visiting Doctoral Fellow, August 2006-August 2007
- American Consortium on EU Studies (ACES) Pre-Dissertation Research Grant, Summer 2005
- Qualitative Methods, Consortium for Qualitative Research Methods (CQRM), Arizona State University, January 2006.